Chris Scott helps businesses and prominent individuals solve difficult and controversial problems and handle the impact on their reputation and privacy. He has undertaken dozens of engagements for a diverse range of FTSE 100 clients and their boards, listed and private businesses around the world and prominent figures and their families. He frequently works in Asia, throughout Europe and in North America.
Chris supports clients across three stages of an issue:
– when an issue has been identified and needs to be investigated, the risks need to be plotted and a strategy to be created;
– effecting the resolution of the underlying problem working collaboratively with specialist teams; and
– recovering and emerging stronger from the issue and avoiding long-term impacts (or a repeat of the issue).
Throughout these three stages, Chris and his team work to allow you to continue to operate and protect the reputations and privacy of those involved while underlying issues are resolved.
Examples of Chris’s work
During his time with Himsworth Scott and in former roles, Chris’s work includes:
- helping an individual exposed to political scandal with a strategy to resolve those issues while continuing to operate;
- a strategy for handling global investigations in the US, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland and others;
- advising a large public company on a programme to limit avenues for attack by campaigners and investors;
- devising and delivering a strategy to halt malicious short selling campaigns and attacks on the valuation of a listed company;
- advising on a series of negotiations and arbitrations over a disputed cultural asset for a hedge fund; and
- helping businesses handle undercover investigations, whistleblowers and leaks to the media, including use of defamation, privacy and the law of confidence.
What others say about Chris
Chris is described as ‘amazingly practical’ in the current edition of The Legal 500. He has previously been described in Chambers as “calm, confident and steely” and praised for being “very thoughtful and very strategic – he has a very measured approach and was very calming in a very explosive situation.” The latest edition of Chambers High Net Worth says “I can’t speak highly enough of him… He is just incredibly hard-working, incredibly knowledgeable and a nice guy as well. Clients feel incredibly well looked after with him. He is responsive and would go the extra mile as well. If you’re in trouble, you certainly want him in the trenches with you.”
Chris is a founder of Himsworth Scott, having spent the last 13 years at tier one reputation law firm Schillings, the last six as partner. In that time he drove growth of that business away from a traditional media law firm into a more substantive and diverse practice, as its revenues trebled during his spell in partnership. Prior to this role he worked as a journalist focussed on business and reputation issues.